Mookambika Temple is located at Kollur, Udupi district of Karnataka. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Parvathi. It is one of the most popular pilgrim centers in South India. It is located on the banks of river Souparnika. Here the Goddess is in the form of Swayambhu Lingam. The idol of the temple is believed to be installed by Shri Adi Shankara.
1. The temple is known as the center of wisdom and knowledge.
2. The idol of Mookambika Devi is made of Panchaloha( Combination of Gold, Silver, Copper, Iron and lead)
3. It is believed that offering prayers to Devi enhance Knowledge and excellence in academics. Kollur shrine is dedicated to knowledge and art. Goddess is considered as Vagdevatha. ‘ Goddess of Letters and Speech.’.
4. It is considered very pleasant and auspicious to keep figurines and Mookambika lamp related to Mookambika Devi.
How to reach?
BY AIR: Nearest Airport is at Mangalore, which is around 140kms away from the temple. After reaching Airport, one can reach the temple by bus from Mangalore or by hiring a car to Kollur.
By Train: There are two railway stations Kundapura and the Byndoor railway are situated at the distance of 32 km and 28 Km.
By Bus: Karnataka State Road Transport (KSRTC) has bus services from all major centers to Kollur.
Mookambika Temple Darshan timing
Morning: 5 A.M- 1.30 P.M
Evening: 3 P.M - 9 P.M
Disabled people are allowed direct darshan and need not wait in queues.
Different types of Poojas are performed
5:00 to 6:30 am - Ekadravya- Eka Nalikera Ganahoma
6:30 am - Danthadhavana Pooja, Naivedyam
7:30 to 8:30 am - Morning Pooja with Panchamritha Abhishekam, Thrimadhura and Anna Naivedyam, Bali, Nithyothsava, Pallakki Uthsavam, Distribution of Thirthaprasadam & Thrimudram. Pooja to the Parivara Devatas.
11:00 am onwards - Mahapooja with Panchamrithabhishekam, Mahanaivedyam
12:30 pm (noon) - Mahamangalarthi, Noon Bali Utsavam
2:00 pm - Kavatabandhanam (Door closure) In Mookambika Temple
12:30 to 2:00 pm - Anna Prasadam- Free lunch for devotees
3:00 pm - Kavatodghatanam, Devidarshanam begins for the afternoon
6:30 pm - Pradoshakala Pooja begins In the Temple
7:30 pm - Pooja with Panchamritham and Mahamangalarthi
8:00 to 8:15 pm - Pooja to the Parivara Devatas, Mangalarathi
8:00 to 10:00 pm - Anna Prasadam- Free meals for devotees
8:15 pm - Rathripooja, Rathri Bali, Nithyothsavam in palanquin Ashthvadhana Seva at Saraswathi Mantapa
9:00 pm - Shayanothsavam, Kashaya Mangalarathi, Distribution of Kashaya Thirtham and then Kavatabandhanam(Door closure)
1. Men are supposed to remove their upper garments like shirts and vests. Coat, Turban, Hat, Lungi and suits are not allowed inside the temple.
2. Women have to preferably wear traditional attire.
Pregnant Women are not allowed inside the temple after 7th months of pregnancy.
Mother of Newborn are only allowed after 11 days from delivery.
Where to stay?
There are several private hotels near the premises of the temple that provide quality accommodation, moreover Kollur Mookambika Temple Administration has constructed few guest houses.
Where to eat?
Free food for all pilgrims are provided at the temple premises by the temple administration. Food will be served from 12 P.M to 8 PM everyday.
Nearest Tourist Places
2. Maravanthe beach
3. Kodachadri Hills
Comments will be approved before showing up.