Bakrid is known as Eid-Ul- Zuhal or Eid-Ul- Adha . Eid Mubarak is the feast of sacrifice
The Eid al-Adha festival, or Feast of Sacrifice, is locally also known as:
• Eid-el-Kabir in Nigeria and Morocco .
• Kurban Bayrami , in Turkey.
• Hari Raya Haji in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.
• Bakr-Id or Qurbani Eid , in the Urdu language, in India, and in Bangladesh.
Eid Mubarak is the festival of commemorating faith of Prophet Ibrahim on God. Prophet was tested by God, by different trials. He was made to face several trials in his life, which he faced with faith and determination. One such trial he faced was to sacrifice to God, the most dearest possession, it was nothing other than his son. He showed readiness to sacrifice his son , and he kept his son at gallows for sacrificing. He was about to cut down his head, at that time a miracle happened. His son was replaced by a ram. God was pleased to see his readiness and asked not to sacrifice his son, but the animal. Through his devotion, Abraham showed that his life and his wishes are least significant before his faith on God .
• Men and women dress in new clothes for offering Eid prayer.
• Prayers are chanted frequently in this period.
• For commemorating Ibrahim’s determined faith, Eid is celebrated by sacrificing a goat. The sacrificed meat has to be shared in three portions. The first portion (lion’s share)is for the poor, who are not able to afford food , second and third part is for friends and family.
• Muslims greet each other after prayers and they give gifts and exchange presents.